Skip to main content

My Poetry Experiments with Haiku

The problems one face when writing poetry in free verse and also considering haiku writing are abundant. I have been writing free verse since 2011. My use of free verse represent flow of thoughts and less of imagery. There are also concepts and themes associated when writing poems in free verse which translated into various images when I ventured into haiku world.

When I started writing haiku as part of prompt given by Haiku Heights, I followed only 5-7-5 syllable route. It was easy for me to pen my poems in three lines though with efforts.

I came to know about more metrics of real haiku when I joined Facebook group "IN haiku" started by Ms. Kala Ramesh. My first poems in this group were:

rail track
signpost on square
I try not to look

splashing waterfalls
cut noise further
I standing on bank of river

I used too many images, almost one in each line, overburdening it and leaving 80% on reader to interpret it!

Haiku is a Japanese poetry form in which using not more than two images, a moment is created. The ideal form represent a spark or aha moment between a human experience and a natural fact. This can be achieved in many ways.

Kigo and Kire are two such tools which form foundation of haiku. Kigo is a seasonal word such as autumn day, summer noon and forms theme for a poem or haiku. Kire is also known as cutting word, often represented as punctuation or a word that provides a break in haiku which leads the reader into an enjoyable or thoughtful experience.

My other problem included use of objectivity but with vulnerability of being interpreted as subjective use.

in the newspaper
on faces of celebrities
kid draws mustaches and bindis

In this haiku, one may feel that I am accusing of losing cultural or moral or social identity by celebrities. However, this was not my intent. This was considered at length in IN haiku group.

Reforming earlier haiku with good knowledge of kigo and kire:

rail track -
moving in both directions
I rest

city signpost -
neon colors of night
everywhere

waterfalls
cut noise farther and me
at its bank

on a newspaper
a kid doodles disorderly
every celeb





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Again the Sky

First published on Literary journal.

Today showered again the sky I wondered if soaking the streets I choose to ignore.
Small leaves sprout and crawl inside me, branches spread out, straws are collected nests are created.
Lone pathway on feet speck of air or earth so full, and my own heart's silence in this moment's time.

What You are - Defining it

When we are jostling with different questions regarding our social behavior for bigger issues such as women empowerment, social life, I ponder why there is such prejudice. Are we responsible? Not the absurdity to look down at any woman with constricted views of household or community values is deriding us of important decisions and self assertion. 

When in society be local or abroad, we confirm to certain beliefs. We carry with us certain traditions which are well respected and if not, can be collaborated with certain evidence that are acknowledged given a case. Certain new theories are often forming and laws are often modified to include the evolving practices anywhere for men and women alike.

Thus, what are these entities. Having an ideology such as Gandhism can help a humanitarian do job anywhere in the world. Confirming to professional etiquette, the diseases are easily diagnosed with exception of long-formed personal habits. Vast experience in certain field or valuable upbringing c…

Least Minimal Good for Better Future

We are out, now. In places, all over city, or country. We often notice when we are outside, how civic amenities are making life feasible. Five years back, it was not the case. There were definite office and public hours. Mobiles made communication possible, yet services were limited. One could not get proper bedding and food at hotels.

Even now, some most popular tourist spots have poor accommodation infrastructure. If the weather would unpredictable, we were often stranded in traffic. Some travel spots were limited to boys/men only. Transport was not superior as now when we can hire a cab to any location.

When the time has changed now, don't we find ourselves pointing out faults in people, system and places. Sometimes pinches us, like sight of garbage, movement of animals, display of election campaigns and ads.

I concur nothing can change by our will but we can change a little that can help inculcate our attitude and expectations from others.

We should contribute a little towards ge…